Low carb Filipino Pansit recipe
Pansit is a very popular Filipino noodle dish that I like to make for gatherings cause it feeds a crowd. However it is very easy to make low carb. Just replace the noodles with some thinly sliced cabbage and you kinda have a Pansit salad/slaw.
Low Carb Filipino Pansit Recipe
2 Chicken legs (thigh and drumstick)
1/2 head of cabbage shredded
1 med onion, sliced
2-3 cloves garlic, sliced
1/2 large carrot, julienned
2-3 stalks chinese celery (normal celer would also work), diced
Handful of parsley
1/4 cup soysauce
drizzle of sesame oil
salt and pepper to taste
Shredded napa cabbage for noodle replacement.
1. Boil the chicken legs (I had boneless legs, but you could use boned) in about 4-5 cups of water. Add salt and pepper (you can throw in a bay leaf if you have one around). Boil until cooked through. Remove and allow to cool. Shred the chicken
2. If you are feeding non-lowcarbers, use the broth from boiling the chicken to soak the a large bag of rice noodles. (you can see the soaked noodles in the back of the pic below)
3. Prepare all the ingredients, slice the onions and garlic, shred the cabbage, julienne the carrots.
4. Stir fry onions and garlic in a couple tsp oil. Add the cabbage and celery and cook for 5-7 mins to soften. Add chicken and carrots. Add soysauce and pepper to taste.
5. Remove some of the pansit mixture for the Low Carbers and set aside to serve over shredded napa cabbage.
6. For non-lowcarbers, add the soaked rice noodles to the pansit mixture and mix up. You want enough soysauce to slightly color the noodles. Add parsley and serve.
Serve with a squeeze of lime.